Oct 07

And for an encore . . . . .

Here’s a post that I actually wrote two weeks ago for the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop . . . . and then I got interrupted by our move, so I am now finally getting back to this adventure. Although this happened over two weeks ago, it is still pretty relevant in terms of describing the craziness that has been going on around here for more than a month. Things are settling down a bit, but I still thought it would be fun to share this post. Hope your days are more peaceful than mine have been lately!


Last week I posted about all of the various responsibilities, expectations, demands on my time, and calls for my attention. This week got even MORE overwhelming . . . . .

In the midst of (STILL) trying to recover from a pinched nerve in my right shoulder – as a result of driving to Philadelphia at the end of July for the writers’ conference – AND running around getting all of the documentation for Annie’s disability application (this was almost as much work as all the documentation we had to do for her adoption!) with every piece of paper needing to be signed, verified, notarized, and stamped with an official seal of approval – AND running to the bank several times a day because the underwriter wanted one MORE piece of paper with all of the aforementioned proofs of authenticity . . . . .

So, while trying to pack up a house full of family possessions to be moved to the new house which is 10 miles away, along with all the NORMAL events of a day (school, work (what’s that???), volleyball games, piano lessons, homework, blah, blah, blah . . . . ) on Tuesday night while waiting to pick Gracie up from a volleyball game, instead of a call saying, “You can come pick me up now, Mom,” I received the phone call that no parent ever wants to receive.

At 9:30 p.m. I answered a call from Gracie, but instead of the usual “Hi, Mom!” I heard the sound of sobbing and almost hysterical crying not only from my daughter but from a whole bus load of teen age girls.

After getting her calmed down enough so that I could understand what she was saying, she told me that the bus had been in an accident after leaving the high school where the volleyball game had been held, and that she didn’t know what was happening at the minute and she didn’t even know where they were.

After contacting another mother who had been at the game, I found out that none of the parents actually knew where the accident had happened, but as soon as anyone could find out they would let me know. I put Annie in the car (already past her bedtime) and we drove into the school, waiting to hear where the bus was so we could go get our kids.

On the way in to town, I got another call saying that there was another bus on the way to pick up the girls to bring them back to our school, so just to wait there for them. Everyone was OK, just really scared, in shock, with a few bumps and bruises. After several more phone calls with Gracie, she was still crying but less hysterically than earlier, she told me that the whole team and coaches had prayed together, which seemed to calm everyone down a bit.

The next phone call was from another mom who said that instead of putting the girls on another bus to bring them home, they were actually going to take all of them to a local hospital for evaluation, so we would need to meet them at the hospital so that parents could pick up their daughter after signing (more) paperwork.

By this time it was almost 11:00 p.m. and the hospital was at least an hour drive from our school . . . . so we took off into the darkness, to a part of the state that was not familiar to me even in the daylight. Between phone calls to our Daddy, other moms, and Gracie, we eventually found our way to the hospital and then we got to wait. Another hour.

Crazy Life

Finally, we were called back to the room where all the girls were being evaluated. I saw three girls on stretchers with neck braces, but other than that, all of the girls seemed to be fine, just still scared and traumatized.

After signing a pile of paperwork, we finally were on our way home. By this time it was almost 1:00 a.m., we were all exhausted and the adrenaline was beginning to subside. And I still had an hour drive ahead of me. All the way home Gracie talked, and talked, and talked. She told me that when the bus driver had pulled the emergency brake after the car pulled out in front of the bus, that he lost his balance, the bus swerved, and he was thrown out of the bus onto the ground.

She said she happened to look out the window just as the bus hit the other car and saw the glass shatter and go flying everywhere. She said, “I was so scared . . . I thought we had just killed that guy in the car!”

So yesterday I kept her home from school to watch in case there were any symptoms that might show up – she slept most of the day and seemed fine this morning, but still rather anxious and hesitant to ride the bus to school. But I told her she would need to get back on the horse and ride again, so that she isn’t paralyzed by a fear of buses for the rest of her life. I think she will be OK and I understand that all of the other girls, coaches, bus driver, and driver of the other car are all going to be fine.

Needless to say, I am hoping that this is the last major event in our lives for a minute or two. I need to get caught up with my work (if you are wondering where I’ve been and why I haven’t answered your emails, I’ll try to get back to you today!) – because tomorrow we close on our new home and then we will be moving for the next few days. I’m really looking forward to getting back to work and maybe catch a break from all this excitement in my life!

Crazy Life 2

In the meantime, I’m really planning to participate in this week’s blog hop – but I know you will understand if I can’t quite manage to visit everyone. I’ll catch you in the next couple of weeks, I promise!


Welcome to the Thursday Favorite Things Blog Hop. We invite you to link up and share your favorite post or a post about your favorite things.

We can’t wait to see what you share!

Thursday Favorite Things blog hop hostesses

KatherineKatherine’s Corner || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
NinaVintage Mama’s Cottage || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
DebiSurroundings by Debi || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
JasAll That’s Jas || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
ErikaWhat Erika Wears || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
BettyMy Cozy Corner || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
RinaI Thee Cook || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||
RosemaryAn Italian in My Kitchen || Twitter || Pinterest || Facebook || Google + || Instagram || Bloglovin’||

thursday Favorite Things blog hop rules

Adding your link to this blog hop gives Katherine and her hostesses’ permission to share your posts and pictures via social media, on Pinterest and as features on their blogs

thursday favorite things blog hop sidebar




  1. Erika

    I’m so sorry to hear about the accident! I’m so glad that she is fine though and that everyone else is safe as well!

    xoxo Erika @whaterikawears.com

  2. Pamela Shank

    Oh my gosh! What a scary experience. Your daughter will never forget this as I know you won’t either. Some days we really get to count our blessings. Wishing you a calmer week in your crazy family time!! haha (visited per Katherine’s Corner blog hop)

  3. All that's Jas

    Eek! So glad to hear they are all safe. What an experience! These are the times we pretend we are normal but our inner-selves are anything but…Hope you enter calm waters soon. Did you move closer to me? 😉 Hugs and blessings!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>